jueves, 6 de mayo de 2010

6 days down, 29 to go...

I´m here, in León, Nicaragua, finally, where the sky is bluest I've seen and the sun beats down on you mercilessly. The buildings are brightly painted, the roofs red tiled and the sidewalks cracked and dirty. I walk to and from class everyday drenched in sweat, clutching a liter of warm water in my hands. It's incredible here, though.
I´ve been here for a week and I feel like I'm on a completely different plant. I remember it being a certain way and I prepared myself for it, but then I got here and, like last time, it just blew me away. I can´t even... it's hard to put into words almost.
Walking through the isles of the supermarket is bizarre. Hardly anything is the same. It's not bad, either, but still. They sell squares of refried beans in plastic packaging and peanut butter is $20. Here, people go to the supermarket almost daily, because they buy their food by the meal instead of buying bulk until it´s time to refill the pantry. Not to mention I paid a little more than $5 for beans, lettuce, orange juice, sour cream, tortillas and jam. Here, when a woman walks down the street, every man, no matter the age, watches her intently, craning his neck until she's disappeared around the corner. It still makes me a little uncomfortable, but it's normal here and I figure I'll be used to ignoring it in a few more days. The driving here is horrendous, but surprisingly, few accidents occur. For Nicaraguan people, street lanes, stop signs, red lights and pedestrians don´t really mean anything. They honk at you, bikers and other cars as a forewarning. This means, "Get out of my way, I have somewhere to be and you're not going to deter me." Even the keyboards here are crazy. It takes me 15 minutes longer to type everything because I have to press shift with every button until I find the right punctuation key. It's frustrating, needless to say.
I eat mangoes for breakfast and lunch. They're juicy and sweet and delicious. I feel like a little kid, with mango stained lips and sticky fingers. It´s my favorite part of the day, coming home to a fresh mango. I eat a lot of eggs, too. Eggs, rice and refried beans. I haven't gotten sick of it yet, but in about two more weeks, I´ll be prepared to kill for just a little pedazo of meat...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario